Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Morning Decisions

Mom was up at 5 a.m. vomiting. Since she hasn't been eating or drinking, "vomiting" is relative, of course.

This morning, she refused meds again, and refused to get out of bed. Of course, she hasn't eaten or had anything to drink. I was surprised to learn that she's not taking anything for the pain in her abdomen, which is now a constant.

Mom's stomach and back are so distended. I think her bowel is obstructed and I want to get that looked at before rupture/perforation.

I had to talk my dad into getting EMS to take mom to the hospital. He agreed that we should go ahead and take her to the hospital today but thought that we should drive her ourselves. I had to explain that EMS would be easier -- one move onto the gurney and that's it, as opposed to us moving her from the bed to the wheelchair, the wheelchair to the car, back to the wheelchair, etc.

I think dad was worried that if we take her to the hospital, she won't be coming back home. On the other hand, my dad has moments where logic tells his that if she's in such pain, he's ready to let her go. He lets logic override emotion more often than not, but I know that emotionally, it's taking a lot to get him to where he is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment