Sunday, February 8, 2009

Still at the Hospital

Not a great way to spend a Sunday. They did a contrast CT on mom's abdomen this afternoon, which meant that she had to drink the nasty contrast stuff. I'm thinking "We haven't been able to get her to drink water for days. How the hell is she going to drink all of that?"

She wouldn't do it for dad...she finally agreed to drink it for the nurse.

As I suspected, there is a large obstruction high up in her bowel. There is no fun way to remove that. But leave it alone and it will rupture, she will become septic, and that's a completely different way to go. I suppose if she wants to cheat the cancer...but I doubt she's got the presence of mind to be thinking about it that way right now.

She's laying on the stretcher/bed in the ER exam room. Eyes closed, hands over her belly. Suddenly, she turns her head to one side and starts kissing the air. I wonder who she imagines she's kissing at that moment. She smiles and turns her head back to center.

I stand close and tell her that I'm leaving for a little while to go pick up the boys, but that we'll be back soon. Right now, she has no concept of "soon," so that could be five minutes, five hours or five days. She opens her dry, encrusted eyes to look at me, smiles, and politely says, "No thank you. I just had some. I don't need any of that right now."

2 comments:

  1. Susan, thank you for writing these blog entries. I am thinking about you and praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts made me cry. I will pass this site on to my sisters. I want to help somehow. Polly

    ReplyDelete