Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hospice in the House

We've now arranged for Hospice care for mom. When Hospice care begins, much of the other care falls away. So, instead of the daily home health care visits, she and dad will now be visited by the Hospice team. They pretty much take care of things here at home. I'm still trying to figure out how it all connects.

Mom hasn't had anything to eat or drink today. I don't know how much the Hospice team will be able to help us with this. I don't think they will force her to eat. Dad has pretty much decided it doesn't matter any more. I think it's been so hard for him these past weeks trying to get her to eat and drink when she hasn't wanted to that he's just giving in to her wishes.

Owen wants to see mom. I tell him she's sleeping, but let's be real quiet and go in to check on her. He giggles at the plan. She's sleeping on her side, back to the edge of the bed. The bedsheets envelop her completely -- only a bony arm and her tufted head peek out. Otherwise, it's like there is nothing there. We turn and leave her sleeping.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the update. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete