Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Over the Weekend

I think having dad's sister visiting has helped his mindset a little, or maybe knowing someone else is there with him not only provides the companionship and stimulation he needs, it's pushing him to take somje extra steps with mom.

It's not that he's not doing enough, but sometimes he doesn't know what to do, or he's exhausted from the constant effort. I get it.

I spent an hour on the phone with mom's Hospice case manager and then the Hospice social worker, who visited mom and dad the next morning. Of course, about 30 minutes into the conversation, dad decided he was through talking with her and had an appointment he needed to get to. He really did have the appointment, but when he's done talking, he's done, and that's pretty much it.

So, I asked him how the conversation with the social worker went, and he said, "Oh, we didn't really talk about anything."

I'm thinking: "I talked to this woman for an hour, and you didn't talk about anything?"

So I asked him, "Did she mention getting some extra halp for you and mom?"

"Yeah, she did bring that up," dad said.

"I think it's a good idea. What are your thoughts?"

"Oh, I told her I would have to think about that. Maybe next week I'll give it some thought," he replied. "There are a lot of caregivers in this directory, and they all charge for this and that..."

Again, I'm thinking that not even 24 hours before, he was telling me he doesn't think mom will make it through another week, so the stall doesn't make any sense to me.

He was short with me on the phone as well. He really doesn't like talking any more than he has to, so he shooed me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment