Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Clean Room


A large orange sign greeted me as I entered Mom's hospital room.

"Neutropenic Precautions. Wear Mask and Gloves"

Her nurse, Detra, was standing over the bed, drawing blood. Mom was awake and alert, greeting me with a tired "hello..."

Next, Detra explained to Mom that she was getting a Neupogen injection in her abdomen in an attempt to boost her nearly bankrupt white blood cells.

The "rash" Dad had mentioned was nothing like any rash I've ever seen. Angry, red skin with bulbous, yellow blisters reach from her throat down her shoulder onto her arm and chest. Nasty, alien stuff.

"Dr. George thinks it may be Shingles," Dad explained. "He says it may not be Shingles, but we're going to treat it as if it were."

Treating it means taking Acyclovir, the same drug administered for Herpes and Varicella. Viral, Mom could have picked it up just about anywhere. Her depleted white cells make her vulnerable to just about anything, so it could have been as simple as pushing a shopping cart that had just been used by a customer with a toddler who had recently gotten the Chicken Pox vaccination.

It also means that we can pick it up from her, which, aside from not sharing any of our own germs,  is one of the reasons everyone has to glove and mask up in her room.

"Mom, do you mind if I take a picture of your skin? I won't get your face in the photo -- just this area."

As I moved the sleeve of her gown, I asked her when she noticed the rash.

"I mentioned something about it to Dr. George last week," she replied. "It was just bothering me a little, but he said it wasn't a rash yet."

"Well, it's something now," I laughed. "I don't know what to call this."

Rules of the Room
There are other rules for Room 430 at Seton Hospital: No fresh fruit or raw vegetables. No flowers or plants. Funny that when her dinner tray arrived, the main plate was fresh fruit.

Without having spoken with her oncologist, my best guess is that she's here to get hydrated and to build up her white blood cells. And to get rid of that angry skin. She's also potassium and magnesium-deficient, and is mostly likely anemic.

She's getting Lyrica for the nerve pain associated with Shingles and IV Cephalosporin -- a broad spectrum antibiotic to ward off further infection.

It's a quiet night at the hospital. I watch Mom from across the room. She's sleeping quietly and appears comfortable and still. No fidgeting and no talking in her sleep, the way she often does at home. I think about staying the night -- the couch is like a futon -- but over dinner, Dad kept telling me there was no reason to stay at the hospital, that I should just come back to the house.

I look over at her again. Her leg twitches underneath the covers, and the IV monitor clicks as it meters its next drip through. I decide to drive home and be back by 6:30, to be sure I catch Dr. George on his morning rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment